Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Club Flyers and Invites from 1970s and 1980s: Part 3

Text (c) Robert Barry Francos, 2011
Images are owned by the artists
Also, images can be enlarged by clicking on them.


As stated in an earlier blog, throughout the years I have collected flyers, especially from the 1970s and '80s. Many were sent to me directly by the bands while I was publishing FFanzeen. Below are some scans I made from my personal collection, in no particular order. I did see many of them, but not all, and I will comment on them from time to time. Note that I do not financially profit off of publishing them, but only do so to honor the work that was involved, and for archival purposes.

The Fuzztones and the Vipers were two great bands from the psychedelic revival movement of the early 1980s, but they were both so different in sound. The 'Tones had that Rolling Stones sense of danger with Rudi Protrudi on vox guitar and vocals, and Deb O'Nair on keyboards doing mostly back-ups and if I remember correctly, an occasional lead. At the time, she was an embodiment of Nancy Sinatra in her biker flicks days. The band is still around and putting out records, albeit it is based in Germany, and Deb's spot is filled with Lana Loveland, who has her own eponymous band worth checking out, as well. As for the Vipers, they were more poppy, but sharp as a tack. Their song "Cheated and Lied" remains one of my favorites from the period. Last time I saw vocalist / maracas shaker Jon Weiss, he was emceeing a garage theme show at the Acme Underground a few years ago. I had the pleasure of interviewing both bands, at different times.

Geek Maggot Bingo was a bizarre film staring Richard Hell and blues belle Brenda Bergman. This invite was for the opening showing and party at Danceteria.


The Cynics run the Get Hip label out of a Pittsburgh suburb. They are an odd yet compelling mix of psychedelic, metal and pop, and had a video of their song "Girl You're On My Mind" (written by Bernie Kugel of Mystic Eyes, who were on Get Hip) that appeared on MTV for about a second. Worth seeking out the YouTube of it.


This is definitely a show I wish I had seen. I mean, Joan Jett and Darlene Love? Wow.


Along with the psych revival, New York was also diving into the deep end with hardcore. The False Prophets were one of the big ones.


At one point, Binky was the guitarist for a fun New York band called the Planets. They would sometimes play Top 10 (aka disco) songs totally rocked out. I specifically remember them blowing the roof off of "Boogie Fever" one night at Max's Kansas City. Plus, Binky also was one of the cool guys to talk to behind the counter at Sounds, on St. Mark's Place.


I only saw Suicide play once, and that was at CBGB. It was a totally intense experience that lives with me even now. Plus, their song "Frankie Teardrop" still works at getting under my skin. Minimalist heaven, it is the only synth band I can listen to, even now.


Robert Poss lead Tot Rocket, before Band of Susans. He played around a lot in the 1980s, and I have many fliers he sent me to prove it. A really good band (both, actually).


The Mosquitoes were more than just the writers for the last hit song by the Monkees during their 1986 reunion. They reminded me of a psych version of Gerry and the Pacemakers.


The Comateens were a cult band then, and remain so now. But their fans will tell you how good they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment