Thursday, July 21, 2011

Club Flyers and Invites from 1970s and 1980s: Part 1

Text (c) Robert Barry Francos, 2011
Images are owned by the artists
Also, images can be enlarged by clicking on them.


Throughout the years, I have collected flyers, especially from the 1970s and '80s. Many were sent to me directly by the bands while I was publishing FFanzeen (some here actually have letters on the back from the musicinas). Below are some scans I made from my personal collection, in no particular order. I did see may of them, but not all, and I will comment on them from time to time. Note that I do not financially profit off of publishing them, but only do so to honor the work that was involved, and for archival purposes.

1. The Love Delegation was made up from, in part, members of the Fleshtones. While I saw the 'Tones play a number of times, and in fact I was one of the first to ever interview them, I did not get the chance to see any of their offshoot bands. The Love Delegation album is quite good, as well.

2. I sold my tickets to the Clash at Bond's to see the Rockats play the Ritz, the night they recorded their live album; however, I did not see this show. Of the purist rockabilly revival groups on the New York scene during the 1980s, they were among the best; the Stray Cats, who for some reason managed to get more attention, were by far not as lively a band.

3. The Insect Surfers were a fun surf-style band in the '80s, hailing from Washington, DC. Their manager was Bill Ash, who got me in to see them play Hurrah's. As for the Underground, on the corner of Broadway and 17th Street in NYC (I believe it's a sports clothing store now), the only show I ever remember seeing there was metal-god Thor, and was not my favorite place.


4. The Fast were one of my favorite groups to see live, especially during their earlier powerpop days. I interviewed them in the back of van on a highway by-road in Brooklyn with my then managing editor. After they went in a more metal direction, Miki tried a few side projects, including an all-Gene Pitney show, and the Miki Zone Zoo. Unfortunately, I never did get the chance to see this amazing and underrated guitarist's sidework. RIP, Miki.

5. The Left Bank was a bit out of the way for someone from south Brooklyn like me, being way up in Westchester (people from there generally hate it when you refer to it as "upstate," as it's just north of the Bronx), but I managed to make it to a number of shows there, including Ronnie Spector and the Ventures. However, it was this Dictators show that I remember best. They were in top form, and that night they recorded their Fuck 'Em If They Can't Take a Joke live (originally) cassette only ROIR album.

6. Great, amazing show, and one of the first I ever photographed (with an Instamatic and flashcubes, developed into slides). It truly was an extravaganza, and all gave 150 percent.

7. I headed down to the Stiff party, on lonely and dingy Crosby Street in Manhattan. I had heard, and apparently correctly, the "U.K. artiste" was Lene Lovich (who is American). The room was dark-dark-dark (and I didn't have a flash, but still managed to get some photos), and Lene sang with us as a group standing around her, since there was no stage. In the audience was also Nina Hagen, who jumped in for a song with Lene, who apparently is a pal. Below is the invitation to the party, both outside and inside.

8. Never saw Justin Trouble, I believe, but I do have the "Johnny Thunders produced" record. It rocks, remaining a fixture of its time.

9. I've seen Elda play a couple of times, and she was a blast. Lots of power, lots of energy.

10. The last ad for Max's Kansas City. I was at Heartbreakers one (my companion, Nancy, interviewed Walter in the "Andy Warhol Room" that night for FFanzeen), as well as the Rattlers / Ronnie and the Jitters gig - yes, the final show at that historic and keystone club. It is greatly missed, but at least I know I can get some groceries from the Asian deli now in the spot.

2 comments:

  1. You wouldnt happen to have anything such as pictures or flyers and even setlist of the Stimulators would you

    ReplyDelete
  2. The article on the Stimulators that appeared in FFanzeen in 1981 is scheduled to be published on this blog on August 5, 2019. That's all I have.

    ReplyDelete